People meet their partners in all kinds of ways, but one that isn’t used so much anymore is meeting them at the local bar or through a mutual friend. With the advent of social media and online dating, people are meeting potential partners in more virtual settings instead of something like a wine tasting event or charity auction.
The rise of Facebook Dating is a prime example of how quickly people are switching from other methods to social media apps to find love or something more casual. You may not think it’s possible to meet your future partner on Facebook, but you would be surprised how many relationships have started with just this type of interaction.
So if you’re ready to give your love life a new boost with some old-school techniques, here’s everything you need to know about signing up for Facebook Dating and making an account that won’t scare away anyone!
There are more than 1.3 billion users on Facebook, and while many people use the platform to post photos, chat with friends, and catch up on their news feed, a growing number of them are using it to find love.
In fact, Facebook recently launched a new dating feature that helps you discover potential matches based on your interests (and not just random drunken profile pics).
Now there’s proof that technology can help you meet someone special. And whether you’re looking for a casual date or marriage material, there is an option best suited for you — no matter your age. Here’s how to sign up for Facebook Dating and why you should!
How to Sign Up for Facebook Dating
Let’s start with the basics. You will first need a Facebook account — if you don’t have one, you can create one by clicking here. From there, navigate to your account settings and click on “Privacy” in the left-hand menu.
You will then see a menu item labeled “Dating”; click on that, and you should see an option to “Get started” with Dating. Once you have done that, you can select the genders you’d like to see in your potential matches.
From there, you can turn on location services so Facebook can help you find people nearby. If you’re truly ready to start dating, click “Get Started” and you’re good to go!
Here are the complete steps you need to follow to create facebook dating profile account:
- First off, you will need to login your Facebook account via the facebook app
- Next, locate and tap the menu button at the top right corner of the facebook app
- Now, tap dating from the dropdown menu
- Tap get started on the facebook dating home
- Fill out the registration form
- Select your gender, turn on your location and select your interest.
- Lastly, submit and you are done
Facebook dating will carry out the matching for you.
Why Should You Use Facebook Dating?
While other dating apps can sometimes feel like a meat market where you’re being “ranked” against other users, Facebook Dating is more about finding people you’re interested in. Let’s say you like hiking, and there’s a nearby event you want to go to.
You can search for people who like hiking and that event and send them a message. Or let’s say you’re a teacher and you want to meet someone with whom you have something in common, Facebook Dating is a great way to find those people.
You can even select what you’re looking for in a partner and Facebook will show you people who match your preferences.
Meet New People Without Putting Yourself Out There
Many people have fears and insecurities when it comes to dating. While some people are lucky enough to find love at work or in their social circle, others may be shy and feel uncomfortable approaching possible dates. You may feel like you have nothing to offer in a dating scene full of gorgeous, successful people.
Also read: Facebook Marketplace Selling Etiquette
Perhaps you’ve been through a recent breakup and don’t yet feel ready to start dating again. Or maybe you’re just busy with your career and don’t have time to actively pursue a relationship.
Regardless of why you’re not actively dating, Facebook Dating allows you to meet people without putting yourself “out there” in the same way as a normal dating site might.
You can use the platform to find people with whom you have common interests, and you can message them without feeling pressured. If you don’t like the person you’re matched with, you can simply unmatch them and move on!
Discover Events and Activities You’ll Enjoy
If you’re single and ready to mingle, Facebook Dating can help you find people who share your interests and passions. You can search for people who have the same hobbies and interests as you, and you can attend events and activities with potential matches.
This way, you can meet someone while doing something you already love and have common ground with them. If you have kids, you might want to avoid dating during the week — but on the weekends, you can attend events with other parents and try to meet new people. You can even check out Facebook groups for your area and see if there are any meet-ups you might be interested in.
Be Discreet With Your Profile Information
You don’t have to divulge your life story when creating a profile — just the basic info that is relevant to the type of match you’re looking for. If you’re trying to find someone to go hiking with, you don’t need to list the fact that you have two kids and a dog.
If you want to be really discreet, you can also create a “secret” Facebook account that is connected to your main profile. In order to find each other, you can send a secret message through Facebook and connect your profiles.
Come Out of Your Comfort Zone
A big part of dating is not being afraid to come out of your comfort zone and put yourself out there, even if you don’t feel like you’re at your best. You’re not going to meet someone if you stay inside and avoid social situations, so find a meet-up group in your area, go to events, and even consider online dating.
If you get a “no” when you ask someone out, that’s a “no” — and you should be proud of yourself for trying! If you keep trying, you’ll meet someone who you click with and make a new friend or partner.
What You Need to Know Before You Start Dating on Facebook
First things first: Don’t take the Facebook Dating experience too seriously. Dating apps are notorious for bringing out people’s worst traits, and Facebook is no different.
- Even though you’re using Facebook, you can still run into fake accounts. That’s why it’s important to do a little digging before you decide to meet up with someone.
- It’s also important to remember that everyone has different dating etiquette.
- Finally, remember that not everyone on Facebook Dating is looking for a serious relationship.
- Facebook Dating can be great if you’re the type of person who likes to date casually. That’s why it’s important to remember that not everyone is on the platform with the same intentions.
Facebook Dating Etiquette 101
Now that you know how to use Facebook Dating, it’s important to navigate your way through the dating scene with some basic etiquette in mind. Remember that everyone deserves to be treated with respect — even if they don’t end up being your type.
- Be courteous and don’t judge others.
- If you don’t like someone, don’t be mean — just unmatch them.
- Be honest and upfront. If someone asks you out, be clear about your intentions.
- Remember that dating apps are visual; it’s important to look presentable in your photos.
- Don’t be too forward. Let the person know you’re interested in them, but respect their space.
- If you want to meet up in person, don’t pressure the other person.
- If someone doesn’t want to meet up with you, don’t take it personally.
- If you’re using Facebook Dating, it’s important to be aware of your own motivations.
- Don’t use Facebook Dating as a way to escape your real-life problems.
- Remember that dating apps aren’t meant for finding a serious relationship, and you shouldn’t let the app define your self-worth.
Discover people with whom you have something in common\n ## Find people you’re interested in
That’s all there is to it! Before you know it, you’ll be swiping right and left and meeting tons of new people — all while staying at home and feeling safe. What’s not to love? Facebook Dating can help you find the love of your life — or just help you expand your social circle. Start your Facebook Dating adventure today and find someone special!